The definition of the Ideas Funnel is that it represents the ideas through the different stages of maturity. At each phase of the ideas funnel...we have a predefined maturity level, starting from having just an idea, which will go through a defined selection process to be moved to the next level, until reaching the highest maturity level of commercialization readiness. For each phase and each maturity level, we need to conduct a specific activity to increase the idea maturity and move it to the next level. The Ideas Funnel, Maturity VS Activity diagram, represent the relation between the activity and maturity for each idea in the funnel. This help us to determine the most suitable activity for each phase.
Ideas Funnel Phase VS Activity
When we mention activity, it is better to refer to the Enterprise innovation initiatives interactive design canvas and link the activities to each of the 6 spaces. This way, we will have a more visualized understanding for each activity VS the ideas funnel phase and the Enterprise innovation initiatives interactive design canvas related space.
TheInnovation Culture Fostering activities are mainly focusing on activities which fail in theSeeding Spaceand that may include activities or initiatives as:...
- Community of Practice
- Knowledge Resources
- Innovation Training
- Knowledge Resources
- Knowledge Sharing
- Technology Monitoring
- Technology Road-mapping
The Stimulating new ideas activities are mainly focusing on the activities which fail in theGet Spaceand that may include activities or initiatives as:
- Design Sprints
- Internal Hackathons
- Efficiency & Design to cost Initiatives
- Internal Innovation Competitions
- Internal Collaborative Innovation
The Innovation Capacity Building activities are mainly focusing on the activities which fail in the Build space, Boost Space, Collaborate Space and that may include activities or initiatives as:
- Build Space:
- Patent Office
- Research Publications
- POC Development Sponsorship
- New Business Model Design
- Fast Prototyping Development Sponsorship
- Boost Space:
- Advanced Labs
- System & Tools
- Organization Structure
- Support Functions
- Collaborate Space:
- M&A Strategy
- Startup Monitoring
The Realizing New Ideas and Pushing New Ideas for Adoption activities are mainly focusing on the activities which fail in theGrow Space and that may include activities or initiatives as:
- Internal or External Incubators
- Internal or External Accelerators
- Enterprise Spin-off Initiatives
- Enterprise Intrapreneurship Platforms
Ideas Funnel VS Maturity
At each phase of the Ideas Funnel, the ideas have different maturity level. The ideas maturity are increasing allover the life cycle. The ideas pipeline maturity levels can be summarized as follows:...
- Ideation Maturity Level: in the ideation stage, the ideas are just row, including ideas brief, high level thoughts, initial technical feasibility, business viability and customer desirability assessment. Usually it is an outcome of brainstorming and initial assessment exercises. In many cases, this stage is ended with a concept paper, pitch presentation or business case.
- Pre-Incubation Maturity Level: in the pre-incubation maturity level stage the ideas are initially validated. In this stage the technical feasibility is assessed through high level mock-ups, initial POCs-Proof of Concepts or Through a Way Prototypes. Initial business model thoughts and customer desirability assessment is usually conducted.
- Incubation Maturity Level: in the incubation maturity level stage, ideas are usually taken to the next level after conducting an initial customer desirability exercise with a clear need, demand and problem/solution validation through professional assessment. Ideas are converted from POCs, Prototypes to more mature version through the development of MVPs-Minimum Viable Product Features which is expected to suite the target customer needs, wants, demands and is capable enough to be competitive compared to competition and substitutes.
- Acceleration Maturity Level: in the acceleration maturity level stage, MVPs are deeply tested with target customers. Customer desirability is validated. Business Model, Value Proposition, Revenue streams and pricing are designed, validated and tested. Based on the output, pre-commercialized version is developed and manufacturing processes are designed and validated. The complete value chain is ready for the next stage.
- Commercialization Maturity Level: Now everything is ready, detailed plans are compiled and tested, first set of customers and early adapters are ready, product and its packaging are in place, manufacturing is ready to start, value chain agreements are in place and the main focus in this stage is all about customer acquisition and revenue stream generation. Growth hacking is a key in this stage.