Enterprise Innovation Initiatives Interactive Design Canvas
The end goal of all our activities is to achieve successfully commercialized and competitive offering. To do so, we build our strategies that leads to different internal and external initiatives and programs. Those initiatives and programs integrates togather to accumulate new ideas which we then get into the ideas funnel, to take the most competitive ones to the next stage to build, and then take another set of the most built ideas to grow and reach impact. To be able to do all of this, we must design innovation boosters and also collaborate externally with the different ecosystem stakeholders.
The Enterprise innovation interactive design canvas, is designed to make sure that our strategies and initiatives are mutually execlusive integrating togather to achieve our targets and objectives. This canvas give us a single view for all the initiatives, programs and activities that we conduct to foster, grasp and achieve impact from our innovation management investment. This is done through placing each and every initiative in the proper space with the clearly defined input and output defined for each of the spaces. The goal of each space can be summarized as follows:
- Seed Space: The output of this space is information, insights, knowledge, expertise, exposure and means of formulating organization internal & external intelligence and road-maps.
- Get Space: The output of this space is ideas that are structured, sorted, analyzed, evaluated and ready to be placed in the organization ideas funnel/pipeline.
- Build Space: The output of this space is IPs, published papers, POCs (proof of concepts), mock-ups, simulations and working models.
- Grow Space: The output of this space is MVP (minimum viable product), BD (business model), precommercialized version, initial customers acquisition/adoption and/or internal/external fund allocation.
- Boost Space: aims to boost all other spaces. The space includes, infrastructure, methods, tools, platforms & organization structures, policies, processes & leadership.
- Collaborate Space: aims to open the pipeline with the external world, the creation of different gatekeepers.
- Ideas Funnel: is our ideas repository where we get, build and grow our ideas to reach successful commercialization.
How to Use
The enterprise innovation initiatives interactive design canvas is used in pivoting nature. At the early stage of the enterprise innovation management system design, the canvas is used to structure and guarantee the coherent nature of the overall enterprise initiatives design. To guarantee that all initiatives are in the proper place and integrated all together to achieve the desired impact. At the later stage and as our model is designed with consideration to follow the PDCA- Plan, DO, Check and Act in a continues manner, we refer to the canvas to make sure that we are on the proper track and modified what is needed based on the assessment result.
The enterprise innovation initiatives interactive design canvas is recommended to have the following pre-requisites:
- Completing the enterprise innovation audit
- Finalizing the audit analysis through the usage of the enterprise innovation maturity evaluation grid
- Final formalization of the enterprise innovation maturity road map. Including the final approved resources, budgets, implementation time-frame and agreed upon objectives, goals and KPIs.
- At that stage we can start working on the design of the enterprise innovation initiatives interactive design canvas with a clear objective to make sure that all initiatives are placed on the proper space with the intended initiative objectives.
- After finishing the design of the enterprise innovation initiatives interactive design canvas we go directly to design each initiative at the proper planned time through the usage of the innovation initiative design canvas for every initiative with all the needed details.
For each pillar we have a set of processes and concepts to be checked:
- Concept Generation:
- How new product concepts are identified, validated and selected.
- Product Development:
- How innovation is taken from concept, to development, transferred to productization and reaches commercialization.
- Process Innovation:
- How innovation is implemented into manufacturing process.
- Technology Acquisition:
- How technology is managed, acquired and developed.
- How human and financial resources are allocated and deployed.
- Systems and Tools:
- How systems, tools and methods are properly deployed and used.
- What is the leadership support and sponsorship.
- How leadership provides directions and support.
- Market Focus and Open Innovation:
- How you are interacting with external stakeholders in the different stages and pillar.
- For which degree you are integrating with your customers, suppliers and partners.
- How you are applying and engaging in open innovation from ideation to commercialization stages.
- How you measure the market impact generated from the innovation activities.
- What is the innovation economical impact from sales, profile and market share perspective.
- How innovation is supporting the overall organization competitive positioning.